Who doesn’t love a nice flapjack in the morning? My husband and I make breakfast for lunch almost every Sunday after church. We usually make chocolate chip pancakes, but this week we were heading home (with our 5 week old) and I suddenly remembered we were out of chocolate chips (gasp!). We didn’t want to stop at the store with Isaiah in the car, because he was hungry and, frankly, we were too . I thought to myself, “How can we make our pancakes flavorful with what we’ve got at home?” Because honestly, I hate plain pancakes. Sorry, but I was just not raised on plain. I remembered we bought strawberries at the store the previous day and we ALWAYS have bananas on hand, so I thought this would be the perfect combination AND make our usual pancakes a lot healthier! They were absolutely the best pancakes I’ve ever made!
I used a standard pancakes recipe and added in the fruit. If you have a recipe for pancakes that you use and is different from mine, use yours and just add the strawberry and banana puree to that! No hard feelings.
Yields: 10 medium pancakes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3/4 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 carton of strawberries (stems cut off, of course!)
- 1 1/2 bananas
- Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to “sour”.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into “soured” milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the strawberries and bananas. Add the fruit to the pancake mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
- Top with cool whip and strawberries.
So delicious. Enjoy!