diy monogrammed headboard.


I say finally for two reasons. One, we finally have our headboard complete; and two, I’m finally posting pictures of it. It took me forever to complete the project from start to finish. Sometime back in the spring of this year (after about eight months of marriage), I realized that our bedroom was missing something. (It took me long enough, right?) Well, we were missing a headboard for our bed. Headboards are expensive, so I searched for ideas for creative headboards, and while most of them were cute and original, I just didn’t think they were for us. I took it into my own hands, once again.\

Here is what we needed to complete our homemade headboard:

  • A piece of plywood (be sure to measure your bed beforehand so that you know how big to make the piece)
  • A bag or 2 (your call) of “sew-in fleece” material (for comfort if you lean up against it at night to read or something)
  • Material (make sure you get the material a few inches bigger then the board so that you can stretch it over the edges and the staples will be hidden)
  • Staple gun and staples
  • Fabric paint and sponge paintbrush
  • Stencil

So, we started out with our piece of plywood from Lowe’s and cut it to the measurement that fit our bed. We then covered the board with the sew-in fleece material.

Next, we stapled the coral material to the plywood. This was a little more difficult than it sounds. To keep it from having waves in the front, we had to pull extremely tight around the edges. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to.

Then I printed off a cursive letter “L” on my computer and traced it onto thick contact paper and cut out the L. I taped it to the headboard and as I painted the letter I held down the side so as to not let any paint drip past the stincel. I was really afraid it would do that, but not a drop was out of place!

I used a sponge paintbrush to apply the fabric paint. I let it sit for a minute or two before pulling off the paper. It turned out better than I could have hoped for. I’m very pleased with the final project.

For those of you who pay attention to detail, I realize that the picture frames may not be centered with the bed, but we moved the bed to the right a few inches to fit my night stand in between the wall and the bed. I wasn’t about to move the frames just for a few inches.

That’s all it took, folks. $10 and a couple hours later, we had a headboard! It was that cheap and easy.